Thursday, November 17, 2016

HOW TO RUN XP VISTA AND LINUX ON THE SAME DRIVE TRIPPLE BOOT!

HOW TO RUN XP VISTA AND LINUX ON THE SAME DRIVE TRIPPLE BOOT!


I took the decision to run more than operating system on my computer when Windows Vista made its debut a couple of months back. First, I wanted to run both Windows Vista and XP on the same machine so that I continue using my XP without interruption, but at the same time familiarizing myself with Vista. Later on, after the release of Ubuntu 8.04, I made the decision to run all three operating systems on the on laptop so that I get to enjoy the relative benefits of all the operating systems. Below im going to show you how I managed to do it. This article in written based on the assumption that you have at some point installed a Windows and Linux Operating System before. Please note that throughout this article, whenever I make reference to Linux, I will be talking of the Ubuntu family.

Please note that in order to load the three operating systems you need an empty and preferably unpartitioned hard drive. It is possible to repartition an existing drive in use using the various disk partition tools but the process is too complex and the risk of data loss is very high. In my case I used a 80gig hard drive so I suppose in you case you can adjust accordingly. What I wanted to do with my drive was to create a 20gig partition to put my Vista and this would also be my primary partition (Drive C). I also wanted a 10 gig partition for Windows XP. Lastly, I wanted to reserve 10gig for Linux. The remaining 40 gig will be reserved for another partition where I will store all my files created from the three operating systems.

My first step was to create the 20gig partition on the hard drive. I wanted to reserve Drive C for Vista because on a drive where there are several partition drive speed decreases as you move out towards the drive (the higher the drive alphabet, the slower speed). Second, I created a 10gig partition on the drive where I was going to put my Windows XP. Lastly, I created a 40gig partition where I was going to put all my files. This left about 10gig of unpartitioned space where I was going to put my Linux.

The next step I did was to first install Windows XP on its partition which in my case was Drive D. After installing Windows XP, I immediately installed Windows Vista on Drive C. Upon restarting, the computer booted into Windows Vista. My next step was to download a little bootloader manager called EasyBCD. This application is available on www.neosmart.net. On opening the application there is a button marked Add/Remove Entries. Click on the tab. On the right of the application near there bottom there are several tabs representing Operating Systems. Click on the Windows tab. You are first presented with a drop down box marked Type. Click on the drop down box and select the middle option which is Windows NT/2k/XP/2k3. Under the drop down box there is a box where you can type the name of the Operating system you have chosen, which in our case is Windows XP. Below that is another drop down box marked Drive. Click on the drop down box and select the partition where you installed your Windows XP which in our case is Drive D. After that click on the button marked Add Entry on the bottom right of the application window. After that, click Save which is on the upper right side of the application window. Shut down your Windows Vista. The next time you computer boots you will be presented with a boot Manager where you can choose to boot into either Windows Vista or Windows XP which we installed earlier.

Now that we can successfully boot into both Windows Vista and Windows XP, the next step is to install Linux. In my case I was installing Linux Ubuntu 8.04. For those of you who havent before installed Linux, the procedure is simpler than that of Windows (honestly). The whole installation process consists of steps (which are presented as Step 1 of 7, Step 2 of 7 so that you never get lost and you get to know when you are about to finish). The first steps are easy and self explanatory. On the first step you are asked to choose your language. On the second step you are asked to enter your location and time zone. On the third step you are asked to choose your keyboard layout. Here it is important to assume the default option. On the fourth step you are asked to prepare disk space and show the computer where you want to install your Linux. Choose the option written Use the largest contiguous disk space (this may change depending on the flavour of Linux that you are installing). On the next step you are asked to enter your personal information like username and password and from there you are on autopilot as the option are self-explaining and they will in no way disrupt your installation. After Step 7, Linux will begin installation which in most cases takes about half an hour and after completion you are asked to restart your computer. You will notice that on restarting your computer you will be presented with a new bootloader with Linux at the top. Just scroll down to the bottom of the bootloader and you will come to an option written Windows Vista/Longhorn (loader). Hit enter and you are taken to the old Windows Boot Manager where you are asked to load into either Windows Vista or Windows XP. So the next time you boot if you want to get into Linux, you hit Enter when the Linux Boot Manager appears as Linux is the default option. If you want to boot into either of the Windows Operating Systems, just scroll down to the bottom of the Linux Boot Manager and choose the Windows Vista/Longhorn (loader) option and you will be taken straight to the Windows Boot Manager where you can get to choose if you want to boot into either XP or Vista.

Hopefully by the end of your trial you will have three operating systems successfully running on your computer, In my case, I use Windows XP for my everyday computing as it is faster, Windows Vista whenever I need to use its DirectX10 or many of its diagnostic tools. I mainly use Linux when I go online because of its superior security features that protects me from viruses as well as various malicious spyware and adware applications.

Go to link Download

No comments:

Post a Comment